Serves/makes: 1 x 500gr loaf
- 300g plain flour
- 10g dried yeast
- 1tsp mahlepi
- Pinch salt
- 1tbs honey
- 50ml warm water
- 90ml milk
- 2 eggs
- Zest of 1 orange
- 50gr unsalted butter, diced and at room temperature
- Place flour, yeast, mahlepi and salt into a mixer with a dough hook.
- Whisk the honey and the warm water until dissolved. Add the milk, one of the eggs and orange zest and whisk till combined.
- Add liquid to the dry ingredients and knead on a low speed for approx. 4 minutes until the dough is smooth. Gradually add the butter to the dough whilst mixing until incorporated.
- Place dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover with cling film and allow to prove for 35 – 40 minutes until double in size.
- Pre heat oven 175c fan forced.
- Knock back the dough to remove any trapped gasses. Divide the dough into 3 pieces. Roll each out with your hands until approx. 40cm in length. Pinch together the 3 lengths at one end, and plait dough. Pinch together the ends, place onto a lightly greased baking tray and leave to prove a second time for 20 minutes.
- Beat the remaining egg, lightly brush the loaf then bake for approx. 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack before serving.
Note: Traditionally also served with a dyed red hard-boiled egg pressed into the dough just before baking.