- 85g (1/2 cup) pitted dates, chopped
- 2 tbs sweet sherry or plum wine
- Olive oil spray
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs toasted almonds
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp reduced-fat margarine
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples, cored but with peel left on
- 250ml (1 cup) apple juice
- mascarpone, ice cream or vanilla yoghurt to serve.
- Combine the dates and fortified wine in a bowl. Set aside for 3-4 hours to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray the base of a baking dish with oil. Combine the date mixture, sugar, nuts, lemon rind, cinnamon and margarine in a bowl.
- Run a sharp knife around the circumference of the apples, (but not cutting through) so apples don’t split. Place in the prepared dish. Divide the date mixture among the apple centres and pour the apple juice around the apples.
- Cover the pan loosely with foil. Bake, basting the apples occasionally with the apple juice, for 40 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve with a dollop of ice cream, mascarpone or vanilla yoghurt.